Friday, March 13, 2009

Art Therapy


Last week when I picked up one of my sons from school, the teacher said he had a headache. I picked him up just before lunch and I must admit that it seemed to me that his headache had already gone over. I didn´t see any symtoms of a headache as we were walking to the car and he was talking my head off. I did sense a little feeling of vulnerability.  He was perhaps not in complete harmony with himself for whatever reason. Perhaps it was these feelings that were causing the headaches or was it the feelings alone that he couldn´t quite describe, so he labeled it as a headache. 

Whatever it was I took it seriously and tried to get to the bottom of it. We talked and just took it easy. I gave him my undivided attention. Maybe this was what he needed. 

I decided a good way to help with his relaxation was to do some art. We had the kitchen table full of paint, colored pencils, magazines, you name it. We were drawing, painting and cutting and pasting and getting fully carried away in the present. Frank Sinatra was playing in the background and within 15 minutes he stopped and gave me a hug and kiss and said "mommy, I feel much better now!"  Case rested. Cure for everyday modern stress....a little art therapy. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment